Featured Post

My Quest to Visit Every Sydney Beach

The Australian beach. A social icon. With 85 per cent of us living by the coast, for many it represents a way of life. A part of our natio...

Thursday, December 6, 2018

My Quest to Visit Every Sydney Beach


The Australian beach. A social icon. With 85 per cent of us living by the coast, for many it represents a way of life. A part of our national identity. A place of freedom and pleasure. A common space to gather, to play, to relax in the sun and cool off in the sea. The perfect place to be on a hot summer’s day.

Sydney especially provides the goods. From surfing at Manly or Cronulla, to sunbathing at Bondi, to fishing at Brighton Le Sands, and picnicking at Palm Beach. Ocean beaches or secret harbour coves. We’ve got it all.  

With the help of Wikipedia, Google Maps, forums and exploring I’ve identified 173 (subject to change) safe and swimmable beaches, which I’m defining as an expanse of sand or pebbles along a shore bordering clean and safe water, in the Sydney region bordered by Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park in the North and the Royal National park in the South. Over 170 beaches and I reckon I’ve visited maybe a quarter of them if that - the majority of those in the Eastern Suburbs.

There’s a lot more to see. So, I’ve decided to escape from my set ways. No more spending every free moment at Gordon’s Bay. I’m embarking on a quest to visit and swim at them all. And to prove it I’ll record each trip with a piece of writing, be it a short review, a descriptive piece, or something more experimental.

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect quest for you, Marco! I've seen how you are drawn to the water as if it's a Marco magnet, and the beautiful thing is you don't just swim in the water, you...merge with it. Have fun with this...can't wait to read what's coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney turns into a magical city in summer with such an incredible array of beaches to choose from. Looking forward to reading more accounts on your blog, Marco, and exploring those places later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your quest, Marco.

    ReplyDelete