Featured Post

My Quest to Visit Every Sydney Beach

The Australian beach. A social icon. With 85 per cent of us living by the coast, for many it represents a way of life. A part of our natio...

Monday, August 16, 2021

The Beach (Planespotting)


I recoil into my spine as a crackling roar propels across the sky, deafening me in its shadow. The Qantas Boeing 737 barely scrapes me by. It hovers for a fleeting moment, balancing on its crimson tail, passengers waving a last goodbye. Botany Bay sparkles back enticingly, but all too late, the plane sinking evasively into the clouds.

I wade below, in the path of the aircraft, through the waters of The Beach. Otherwise known as Plane Spotting, the 200 metre stretch of sand is jammed between the Cooks River and Sydney Airport by the 34L runway. The water’s brown, muddy, and a little thick, but apparently, it’s safe to swim. Still, I’d rather not dip my head below, not particularly in the mood for the chance taste of jet fuel.

Most people come for the sights instead. Strewn across the shore, aviation enthusiasts recline in camp chairs, eyes fixed to binoculars. They wait hours patiently for the glimpse of a rare registration, marking it down on a score card like a game of bingo.

They’re joined by teams of dog walkers making the most of a relatively empty beach. A few dozen dogs are now disentangled, frolicking leash free. They pause to bark at an incoming Singapore Airlines Airbus A380, landing to kiss the tarmac only metres away. The chase of the pack, defending their ground from the noisy intruder, is held back by a mere wire fence.  


On the other side of Plane Spotting, to the south-west, modest waves lap gently onto Lady Robinsons’ shore. Stretching out in all its glory, the first-class beach is calling me for departure. It’s time I too take flight.

Total Beaches: 61/160

1 comment:

  1. Marco, you have a beautiful and romantic way of describing your beach explorations! This one is an especially good example of that. I haven't been taking the time to read your blog posts for a while, but now I'm inspired to get back to you when I need to be reminded of our beautiful world. Thank you! Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete