Featured Post

My Quest to Visit Every Sydney Beach

The Australian beach. A social icon. With 85 per cent of us living by the coast, for many it represents a way of life. A part of our natio...

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Obelisk Beach, Balmoral Beach & Edwards Beach

The clouds have subsided, the weather’s fine, Ricky’s chucking a sickie, and I don’t start till 4pm. We decide to do the only sensible thing we know how and hit the beach. We’re feeling adventurous and so agree to find a secluded spot Ricky once stumbled upon inside Sydney Harbour National Park just over the bridge in the North.

Not long and we’re swerving our way through the back streets of Mosman, hitting a few dead ends, before the houses start to disappear and we’re greeted by a lush bushland. Ricky soon recognises the opening to a track and we pull over. Down some narrow steps through the greenery we swiftly emerge to the scenic views of Sydney harbour, sparkling blues dancing under an empty sky - and then the not so scenic views of fat naked old men. Ricky swears he didn’t know this one’s a nudist beach. That’s not necessarily a problem, but it being a small beach with currently more skin than sand we decide it’s best we take a quick dip and keep exploring.

So w
e hop in the car and drive round the head to the yacht speckled crystal clear waters of Balmoral Beach situated in Hunters Bay. We avoid the $9 per hour parking on the main road and find a free spot a few streets back - behind an esplanade of cafes and restaurants ranging from every beachy suburb’s must-have fish and chips to North-Shore style fine dining. Laying our towels on the white sand and nesting in the shade of the promenade we look out upon the heads enclosing harbour waters timidly escaping out to sea. 

A quiet and relaxed atmosphere provides the perfect opportunity to dig into my novel for a short while before I give into temptation and dip into the calm inviting waters. As I surface and turn back to shore I’m greeted by a forestry backdrop surrounding the bay intersected by a promenade lined with grand old fig-trees. I float and bask in the surrounding beauty.

Soon, with the weather starting to turn and my afternoon shift looming, I reluctantly paddle back to shore and grab my things to try to leave. But first the tantalising vibrant blue waters of neighbouring Edwards Beach, separated only by the arched concrete bridge that leads to Rocky Point, are drawing me in. I give in for a quick submersion which begs for more but will have to do for now. 

I’ll be back soon though. I still need to explore Chinaman's Beach just around Wyargine Point to the north, as well as Cobbler’s Beach over on the head to the East. I’ll be back soon enough for their deep blues and scenic views. 


Balmoral Beach. Source: https://sydney-city.blogspot.com


Total Beaches: 8/160

No comments:

Post a Comment